Emergency Action

Created with Sketch.

Spill Reporting Instructions

The US EPA has established requirements for reporting spills to navigable waterways.  It is the primary responsibility of the vessel or facility to report the spill but anyone may report evidence of a spill to the National Response Center (NRC).  Evidence of a spill may be witnessing a spill, observing a sheen or discoloration of the water, or seeing a sludge or emulsion on or beneath the water surface or along the shoreline. 

Reporting a hazardous substance release or oil spill takes only a few minutes. To report a release or spill, contact the federal government’s centralized reporting center, the National Response Center (NRC), at 1-800-424-8802. The NRC is staffed 24 hours a day by personnel who will ask you to provide as much information about the incident as possible.

  • Spills may also be reported to the state agencies. 
    • To report a spill to the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency call (800) 282-9378
    • To report a spill to the Kentucky Emergency Response Branch call (800) 928-2380

  • If a spill is observed near the GCWW or NKWD intakes call:
    • GCWW Control Room (513) 624-5814
    • NKWD Dispatcher (859) 441-0482

External Links